Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Lord, save me"

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

That's one of my very favorite scriptures. Today I'm really leaning on it, because yesterday I took a humbling tumble.

Just when you think you've got everything under control, just when you're feeling so strong, just when you know you'll never go back
to stupid old habits, because why would you?.....

You do. Stupid. That was me yesterday. Yes, I took a pretty severe tumble. What happened? All I wanted was SUGAR. I wanted chocolatey, chewy, ooey-gooey, yummy.... It was all I could think about. I was trying to resist.

I even took Tessy to McDonald's for lunch, ordered myself a grilled chicken salad and water. I didn't even put the dressing on because I read "corn syrup" in the list of ingredients (I went and asked for salsa instead. Guess what? Even their salsa has corn syrup! Why McDonald's??? I really hate that!).

My weakness took over when I asked Tessy if she'd like to go to Walmart and get a treat. All I could think about was their bakery goodies. So off we went. I bought a box of chocolate doughnuts, a piece of chocolate cake, and a package of pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies. I also bought a sack of Roma tomatoes. I had to laugh when we got up to pay and Tessy, in her LOUD voice said, "Wow! We didn't get much healthy stuff!!" The skinny lady in front of me turned and looked as she finished paying and picked up her sack of fruits and veggies. I was embarrassed. But still wanted my fix.

Well, the rest of the day is history. I won't subject you to all the morbid details. My point in sharing this is that we are human. Just because we think we've got something all figured out doesn't mean we won't slip and fall ever again.

It's a good thing that the Savior doesn't have a time limit on His return policy. We can return again and again, over and over, repent and plead with him to exchange our hearts for a new one, a more humble one, a more trusting and diligent one, and stronger one, a more disciplined one, and a changed one. That is what He does for us. His love and grace do not expire. There's no "3rd strike and you're out." Satan would have us believe that if we mess up too many times, we don't deserve Christ's love, His understanding or His forgiveness. That's one of his lies.

"And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was aafraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little afaith, wherefore didst thou bdoubt?" Matthew 14:29-31

Peter was an apostle. He must have been a very faithful, strong capable person. But even he forgot to call upon the Lord in a moment of weakness (lack of faith). However, as soon as he did, Jesus immediately stretched forth his hand and saved Peter from succumbing entirely.

My prayer is that I can have fewer "What the heck..." moments, and a few more "Lord, save me" moments. I believe that He will save us from our weaknesses if we humble ourselves and trust Him to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment