Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fervent Prayer to Overcome Addiction

I love my quiet time each morning with the Lord. I get up an hour before everyone else each morning so I can have that time to pray, read, write and ponder.

This morning I read Elder Ballard's talk from the last October General Conference. What an incredible talk on overcoming addiction! I've been reading the talks in order, and this is the one I was on. I needed it! If you'd like to read the whole thing, click on the link below.

classic.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1298-34,00.html


Elder Ballard said that Satan uses addiction to steal away our God-given agency. Elder Ballard then defines addiction: "to surrender to something, thus relinquishing agency and becoming dependent on some life-destroying substance or behavior."

"Lucifer knows our 'hunger' or weaknesses, and tempts us with counterfeit lures which, if taken, can cause us to be yanked from the stream of life into his unmerciful influence."

There is hope.

"Fervent Prayer is key to gaining the spiritual strength to find peace and overcome an addictive craving." Elder Ballard then explains HOW to pray:
1. Thank Him
2. Express sincere faith in Him
3. Ask Him for the strength to overcome
4. Set aside all pride
5. Turn your life and your heart to Him
6. Ask to be filled with the power of Christ's pure love

"You may do this many times, but I testify to you that your body, mind and spirit can be transformed, cleansed, and made whole, and you will be freed." (Italics added)

He didn't just say, "you might be freed." He said "you WILL be freed."

Today was a good day. We had Maho's siblings and their families over for dinner. I made dessert, and somehow they all brought dessert! We had SO MUCH dessert! Moon Pie, german chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and ice cream! But guess what? I didn't have a single taste! I didn't even feel real tempted! It was amazing.

This morning I prayed just exactly how Elder Ballard said we should. Perhaps He is changing me already. I'm sure I will have to pray like that many more times. But He WILL transform my body, mind and spirit! What a relief that will be.

1 comment:

  1. Molly, I struggle with the samething, you know. I too get up early each morning when the house is quite and read and ponder, and ask the Lord everyday for help, in fact this talk also gave me a lot to think about. Sherry, my boot camp instructor is great, and she is very encouraging. I have stopped eating sugar and for a short time carbs. Feel good. I truly believe in the power of the Atonement, that it can change us. I am very thankful for that. Hang in there. Love you

    ReplyDelete