Monday, March 7, 2011

Cutting Carbs

Last week was rough. Each morning I told myself I would be really good, stay away from sugar, and eat healthy. By evening I had fudged, giving in to the cravings. Every evening I told myself, "Okay, tomorrow's a new day with no mistakes in it. I'll do better tomorrow." I'd exercise, feel great, start off well, and then crash again!!

I wasn't sure what to do with myself! Here I am spouting off inspirational epistles, and certainly not walking the talk! I didn't write about it, because frankly, I was discouraged, uninspired, and feeling hypocritical.

Then my cute sister-in-law Susy came along with a bit of inspiration (sometimes the Lord saves us through other people!). Her fitness guru friend, Sherry Fernandez, had suggested to Susy that she cut carbs out for 2 weeks and see what happens. By carbs, I mean grains, sugars, starches, fruits. Basically focus on protein and veggies. I wasn't sure if I could do that. I was VERY addicted to my carbs! But Susy inspired me and I decided to jump on the bandwagon with her.

I started on Saturday and have already dropped 7.5 pounds (in 2 days)!! The best part is I feel fully satisfied on 3 meals a day and never hungry! I'm still exercising daily and I feel great! The other best part is I don't crave sugar! Or any carbs for that matter--Hallelujah!

Here are some delicious things I've eaten so far:
  • egg omelet full of veggies, topped with avocado (Maho makes the BEST omelets!)
  • Fajitas at Chili's--I got the trio with beef, shrimp and chicken. I ate it with guac and pico de gallo, nixed the tortillas, beans and rice. Heavenly. Yum.
  • Baked Salmon with spinach salad--for the salad toss together spinach, mushrooms, green onions. Dressing: 2 T red wine vinegar, 2 T soy sauce or Bragg's, 2 T olive oil, 3 packets Stevia.
  • Tuna mixed with mayo and shredded carrots over a bed of greens.
  • Maho made me chicken and shrimp fajitas today for lunch and I made a pico de gallo with avocado in it to go with. Better than Chili's!!
  • Limeade: squeeze 1/2 a lime into a tall glass, add 3 packets Stevia, cold water and ice.
  • Fresh veggies with zucchini hummus

Does it look like I'm suffering?! Not a bit! I don't know that this is healthy to do long-term, because we need grains. And I LOVE fruit. And so much meat is probably wrong. But I really feel like this is helping break the sugar addiction. And I'm getting back down to where I was before I inhaled a truck-load of carbs. Yay.

Here are some meals I have planned:

  • Roasted chicken with steamed broccoli
  • Tilapia with steamed asparagus
  • Beef Roast with roasted veggies (non-starchy ones, of course)
  • Soup with leftover beef roast and veggies
  • Pulled pork (on rolls for the fam, wrapped in lettuce or cabbage for me)
  • Taco salad (nix the chips)
  • Portobello Alfredo (made with cream cheese and butter) over steamed cauliflower and broccoli

Looks like a lotta good eatin' ahead. :)

3 comments:

  1. I posted a comment earlier. Don't see it. This is a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok here it goes again. Thanks for your ideas, some of them I already do, but I want you to tell me how you make the portobello Alfredo. Make sure you are eating 6 small meals a day to keep you sugar levels steady. I am doing well so far. Last night I ate a bowl of black beans with a little ground beef, salsa and avocados with a spinich salad on the side. Tonight I will probably have lemon chicken with vegetables on the side. Good job at keeping with it Molly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black beans are good for you, but super high in carbs in the form of starch.

    ReplyDelete