Tuesday, March 8, 2011

All Manner of Grain

Well, call me fickle. But I never claimed to be an expert or know-it-all. It's a journey.

Three days of low-carb was just fine, but by day 4--today--I felt starved for grains and fruit. I really couldn't stand it. I think my body NEEDED grains and fruit, because I was just fine for a few days. Then all of a sudden, all I wanted was an apple and the whole grain corn bread I made last night.

So I had some. Then I ate Tessy's leftover chili (which I made last night). Then I had a whole wheat slice of bread. It felt like water to a parched throat.

Then I got online and read about grains at grainmix.com (I have a wonderful recipe/information book from Grainmix that I love called "Cookies for Dinner"). I immediately placed an order for 2 bags of 5-grain mix (barley, brown rice, rye, millet and oat groats). I felt ravenous for whole grains, so I picked the two bags up in Orem this afternoon, followed by a trip to the bulk section of the health-food store. There I bought amaranth, spelt, quinoa, and a few other grains/seeds.

I came home, added the amaranth, spelt, and quinoa to my 5-grain mix, making it an 8-grain mix, then ground some of that with wheat to make the Chia Flax Bread on Grainmix.com. It just came out of the oven and is Oh-so-good! It's very moist and satisfying. My family loves it!

I made turkey sandwiches on that bread tonight. We ate them with apple slices. I feel so satisfied and well-fed tonight.

I think tomorrow for breakfast I will make a hot cereal with the 8-grain mix and eat it with blueberries. I also want to make some 9-grain tortillas. Yum.

We need balance. Extremes aren't good. Chalk it up to another learning experience.

I did resist sugar tonight. During an hour and a half meeting I attended there was a bowl of girl-scout cookies an arm's reach away--two of my favorite kinds! They were calling my name the whole time, and I did consider eating a couple. I'm so glad I didn't. None is better than some. I kept thinking about my wonderful grains and honey. So much better for me. They make my body happy.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Molly! I'm so impressed you could sit so close to those damned GS cookies and resist!!
    ~ Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're eating whole grains again. Those diets that don't allow grains make me nervous. "All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life... All grain is good for the food of man..." (Doctrine and Coventants 89:14-16) How could it NOT be good for us if the Lord Himself told us it's the staff of life? Now I want to go get some more grains and make some of those yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete